Why alcohol-based hand sanitizer smells bad ?
- Ethanol is the main material in alcohol-based hand sanitizer, so you will smell the alcohol when there is no fragrance, essential oil, or other organic plant oil in sanitizer.
- USA manufacturers use isopropyl alcohol to produce hand sanitizer, and isopropyl alcohol has a strong pungent odor, so it will be unpleasant.
- FDA requires hand sanitizer manufacturers to add denaturants and bitters to hand sanitizer to protect people and children from ingesting hand sanitizer as wine (check on the news), so it may not smells good, but the most important is hand sanitizer can help people to antivirus. I think people’s life is much more important than something that smells good, right?
What difference betwen Ethanol & Isopropanol ?
- Ethanol is not toxic, Isopropanol is a bit toxic(can’t be ingested).
- Isopropyl has a slightly better disinfection effect than ethanol.
- Isopropyl is more expensive than ethanol generally.